The rantings, observations, and discussions of a progressive conservative.

Firefox 2

08 September 2005

On God and today's believers: the lukewarm Christian

During the college program at church last night, we watched a lesson by Louie Giglio in which he pointed out a passage from Revelations:
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."
-Revelations 3:20 (NJKV)


The lesson was about the invitation to have a personal relationship with God that is extended to each and everyone of us individually. But during the lesson, Louie brought out a fantastic point, citing an earlier verse:
"“I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth."
-Revelations 3:15-16 (NKJV)


The lukewarm attitude is something that most American Christians are guilty of, mainly due to the absence of great hardships in our faiths for the most part. But it is still a great failing, as sighted by the scripture... of course, anything that would make Christ vomit would have to be pretty fierce. But it makes sense. You would rather have someone be "all in" or "all out", to use Giglio's poker example. This is because it makes a clear definition on where they stand.

So then, why do some many self-proclaimed Christians live the lukewarm faith by choice. It is one thing to slide into it, but to choose to remain in such a faith is baffling. The best I can figure is that convenience comes into play; the easy road is the greastest tempation for those who live easy lives.

But the warning for those in teh easy life is between the lines, so to speak:
"15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."
-Revelations 3:15-20 (NKJV)


At the core of this is complacency, which is a terrible state of mind for the modern day Christian. We forget we live in a spiritual warzone, especially here in the Rome of our times.

Look for more posts on this and related reflections in the future.

-the Progressive Conservative

Technorati tags: , , ,

Digg!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

Add to Technorati Favorites